Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hi! Remember me!

OK. So I know it’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything. I came on here a few times to do so, but time just got away from me. I have so many things I wanted to post about.I hope my lack of participation hasn't deterred you from following. I promise I'll make it up to you.

I guess let me start with the thing that is on my mind right now. (This is pretty much going to be a play by play, so not very entertaining, but informative!)

We had our August 10th “mini-consult” with Dr. D. Well, let me start with a few days before this. I called our insurance company two days after being covered to talk about their IF benefits. The interesting thing about A.etna is that they have their own IF Benefits line. Apparently it is staffed by RNs. So I called the line, went through a TON of questions regarding our TTC background. She did approve me or “enroll” me into the program. She then told me what they cover: (6) I.UI lifetime and $10K lifetime max for ART (not including medication). I told her that we wanted to go straight to I.VF – the problem is that they have a “lesser before greater” clause, meaning they want me to go through a few more I.UIs before we move onto I.VF. My issue with this is that my chances with an I.UI is so little because I’m missing the one tube and that I have less eggs in the left ovary. Also, I’m scared of another e.ctopic pregnancy since my chances are higher because I’ve already had one. So as I said, I mention that we want to go forward with that and the benefits coordinator said that they need to see my records, but that she thinks based on what I’ve told her that she didn’t think it would be contested.

So I get off the phone and fax all this info over to my RE. I speak to the person who handles the insurance over there, D. She says that she will handle it from there on and that on the 10th I should know what they said.

So we go in on Tuesday and I kept saying to C that I was nervous about what the determination was. We sit down with Dr. D and it seems like it hasn’t been figured out yet. (more on this in a bit) However he agreed that we should be moving onto IVF and that he will write a letter to go along with my file. So we chat about I.VF and I.UI, just to be on the safe side. He tells me if we get approval and move forward with I.VF, I would call them when I get my period and there isn't much to do, perhaps come in for a blood work and an u/s on CD3 and maybe get on BCP, but we have time before we do anything major. BUT if we don't get approved and have to do a few I.UIs, since I want to get them done as soon as possible, I would need to come in on CD3 for bloodwork and then start injections that night. OK. Seems pretty easy enough, right?

The problem this is causing me is that A.etna wants a CD3 FSH result before they will make a determination. They said that my last BW and C's last SA were too far away and they want new ones. Now C did his business yesterday and it's already faxed over to A.etna. Me ... I've been waiting for AF to show up (she is late ... and no, I'm not pg. She is just a spiteful bitch! She knows I want to get this show on the road!) to get the bloodwork done, BUT if I do that I'm going to have to forgo the I.UI cycle this month since we won't find out the determination before the time I would need to start taking the injections. Now I'm just hoping that they will come back and say that we are all good to go for I.VF and it's not really going to matter. But if they come back a few days after CD3 and say that we need to do 2 more I.UIs then I have to wait now ANOTHER month to start. I know, I know - I'm being a brat. It's only a month. But you guys know. When you've waited this long to start a process and are ready for it, it sucks to have to wait. I swear that is all I've been doing for two years ... waiting!!!

But that is all I can do. Wait. Wait for AF to show. Wait for CD3 blood work. Wait for A.etna to get back. Then if it doesn't work out .... wait for the I.UI cycle to start. So hopefully I will have a better update soon. :(


  1. F*ck I hate waiting. That is all we ever do! Glad your back and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

  2. I am hoping AF will show mercy on you and show up ASAP, so you could move on with the insurance process. It seems everything is coming together in your favor and hopefully they will give you green lights very soon!
    So come on, AF! come and get out of the way already!!!

  3. Oh I hope that nasty bitch shows up and quits screwing around with you. Perhaps you need to 'stir the pot' a little. If you know what I mean. Get C on board with that pronto!

    Fingers crossed that IVF is approved as soon as possible.

    And yes, the waiting sucks ass!!!